Healthier Mac & Cheese
Healthier Mac and Cheese
Pasta and cheese seem to be toddler staples! So here is my healthier spin on the traditional mac and cheese. Using chickpea pasta amps up the protein in this meal and adding turmeric to the roux adds a a delicious flavour and some immune boosting goodness. You can switch up the kale for spinach too.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Serves: 2 adults & 2 toddlers
Suitable From: 6 months +
What do you need?
- 2 cups uncooked chickpea pasta
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp spelt flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. A few minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the kale.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the butter to a pan over a medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour.
- Then make the turmeric cheese sauce: in a small saucepan, add the butter over medium heat.
- Let the butter melt, and then whisk in the flour. Cook the flour and butter together for about 30 seconds while constantly whisking.
- Then add the milk to the pan and bring it to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Then add in the cheese, nutritional cheese, turmeric and garlic, whisking until the cheese melts.
- Pour the sauce over the drained pasta and stir.