Is there anything better than a hearty pasta dish?! This recipe is packed with flavour, protein and iron, making it perfect for babies, toddlers and the whole family!
Iron is a critical nutrient for babies and toddlers and essential for their growth and development. Pairing non meat sources of iron with vitamin C rich foods helps the absorption of iron. This simple pasta dish ticks all of the boxes!
The sauce is so simple, garlic, tomatoes and aromatic spices marry together to create depth of flavour and a delicious and simple mid week dinner.
This sauce also freezes really well, so double up the batch and keep some frozen for an easy dinner or lunch.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Serves: 2 adult & 2 toddlers
Suitable From: 6 months +
What do you need?
1 cup pasta
1 tbsp ghee
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 cup puréed tomatoes or passata
1 heaped tsp paprika
1 heaped tsp cumin powder
1 heaped tsp coriander powder
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 cup green lentils, soaked for at least 3 hours
1 1/4 cups water or vegetable stock
- Rinse the lentils until the water runs clear and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Heat the ghee in a large pan over a medium heat and when hot add in the onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
- Then add in the tomatoes and carrots followed by the cumin, coriander and paprika and cook for another minute.
- Add in the water or vegetable stock and lentils. Turn the heat to low, pop on the lid and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
- Season with black pepper and mix well.
- If pureeing, puree with a hand held immersion blender or allow to cool and then puree in a blender.
- Serve over pasta.
I like to make this with my homemade veggie tomato sauce as it is loaded with veg. You can find the recipe in my eBook, Toddler Friendly Family Meal.
Make it vegan:
Use avocado oil instead of ghee
Check out my eBook, Baby & Toddler Friendly Family Meals for lots more delicious and nourishing recipes the whole family can enjoy.